Sustainable, secure and competitive energy supply (Horizon Europe)
The transition of the energy system will rely on reducing the overall energy demand and making the energy supply side climate neutral. R&I actions will help to make the energy supply side cleaner, more secure, and competitive by boosting cost performance and reliability of a broad portfolio of renewable energy solutions, in line with societal needs and preferences. Furthermore, R&I activities will underpin the modernisation of the energy networks to support energy system integration, including the progressive electrification of demand side sectors (buildings, mobility, industry) and integration of other climate neutral, renewable energy carriers, such as clean hydrogen. Innovative energy storage solutions (including chemical, mechanical, electrical and thermal storage) are a key element of such energy system and R&I actions will advance their technological readiness for industrial-scale and domestic applications. Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS) is a CO2 emission abatement option that holds great potential and R&I actions will accelerate the development of CCUS in electricity generation and industry applications.
This Destination contributes to the following Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientations (KSO):
- C: Making Europe the first digitally enabled circular, climate-neutral and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction and production systems;
- A: Promoting an open strategic autonomy69 by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centred technologies and innovations;
It covers the following impact areas:
- Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people;
- Affordable and clean energy.
What is the goal to be achieved?
The expected impact, in line with the Strategic Plan, is to contribute to “More efficient, clean, sustainable, secure and competitive energy supply through new solutions for smart grids and energy systems based on more performant renewable energy solutions”.
Call topics for 2022
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-01: Demonstration of cost-effective advanced biofuel technologies utilizing existing industrial plants
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-02: Demonstration of innovative materials, supply cycles, recycling technologies to increase the overall circularity of wind energy technology and to reduce the primary use of critical raw materials
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-03: Advanced manufacturing of Integrated PV
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-04: Demonstrate the use of high temperature geothermal reservoirs to provide energy storage for the energy system
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-05: Demonstration of innovative plug-and play solutions for system management and renewables storage in off-grid applications
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-06: Novel Agro-Photovoltaic systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-07: Demonstration of innovative rotor, blades and control systems for tidal energy devices
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-08: Supporting the action of consumers in the energy market and guide them to act as prosumers, communities and other active forms of active participation in the energy activities
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-09: Real Time Demonstrator of Multi-Vendor Multi-Terminal VSC-HVDC with Grid Forming Capability (in support of the offshore strategy)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-10: Interoperable solutions for flexibility services using distributed energy storage
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-11: Demonstration of innovative forms of storage and their successful operation and integration into innovative energy systems and grid architectures
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-12: Replicable solutions for a cross sector compliant energy ecosystem
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-13: Energy system modelling, optimisation and planning tools
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-14: Thermal energy storage solutions
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-01-15: Decarbonising industry with CCUS
Gesamtbudget für die Destination 3: 1.226 MEUR
Destination 3 im Funding & Tenders Portal mit Auflistung der Call Topics im Arbeitsprogramm 2021-22 finden Sie hier.
Vollen Text des Arbeitsprogramms "Climate, Energy and Mobility" (2021-2022) finden Sie hier.