Cross-sectoral solutions for the climate transition - Callphase 2 (Horizon Europe)
This Destination covers thematic areas which are cross-cutting by nature and can provide key solutions for climate, energy and mobility applications. In line with the scope of cluster 5 such areas are batteries, hydrogen, communities and cities, early-stage breakthrough technologies as well as citizen engagement. Although these areas are very distinct in terms of challenges, stakeholder communities and expected impacts, they have their cross-cutting nature as a unifying feature and are therefore grouped together under this Destination.
This Destination contributes to the following Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientations (KSO):
- C: Making Europe the first digitally enabled circular, climate-neutral and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction and production systems;
- A: Promoting an open strategic autonomy49 by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centred technologies and innovations;
- D: Creating a more resilient, inclusive and democratic European society, prepared and responsive to threats and disasters, addressing inequalities and providing high-quality health care, and empowering all citizens to act in the green and digital transitions.
It covers the following impact areas:
- Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people
- Affordable and clean energy
- Smart and sustainable transport
How can research and innovation contribute to achieving this goal?
The expected impact, in line with the Strategic Plan, is to contribute to the “Clean and sustainable transition of the energy and transport sectors towards climate neutrality facilitated by innovative cross-cutting solutions”, notably through:
- Nurturing a world-class European research and innovation eco-system on batteries along the value chain based on sustainable pathways. It includes improvement of technological performance to increase application user attractiveness (in particular in terms of safety, cost, user convenience, fast charging and environmental footprint), in parallel supporting the creation of a competitive, circular, and sustainable European battery manufacturing value chain (more detailed information below).
- Increased efficiency of Europe’s cities’ and communities’ energy, resource use and mobility patterns and cities’ and communities’ overall sustainability, thereby improving their climate-resilience and attractiveness to businesses and citizens in a holistic fashion. This also includes improved air and water quality, resilience of energy supply, intelligent mobility services and logistics, liveability and accessibility of cities, public health, comfortable, affordable zero emissions housing as well as the exploitation of relevant European technologies and knowledge (more detailed information below).
- Facilitating the transformation to a climate neutral society, in line with the EU’s 2050 climate targets, through more effectively engaging and empowering citizens to participate in the transition, from planning to decision-making and implementation (more detailed information below).
- Nurturing the development of emerging technologies with high potential to enable zero-greenhouse gas and negative emissions in energy and transport (more detailed information below).
Call topics for 2022
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-01: Sustainable processing and refining of battery grade graphite (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-02: Interface and electron monitoring for the engineering of new and emerging battery technologies (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-03: Furthering the development of a materials acceleration platform for sustainable batteries (combining AI, big data, autonomous synthesis robotics, high throughput testing) (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-04: Towards creating an integrated manufacturing value chain in Europe: from machinery development to plant and site integrated design (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-05: Next generation technologies for High-performance and safe-by-design battery systems for transport and mobile applications (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-06: Embedding smart functionalities into battery cells (embedding sensing and self-healing functionalities to monitor and self-repair battery cells) (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-07: Digitalisation of battery testing, from cell to system level, including lifetime assessment (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-08: Coordination of large-scale initiative on future battery technologies (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-09: Physics and data-based battery management for optimised battery utilisation (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-10: Streamlined collection and reversed logistics, fully automated, safe and cost-efficient sorting, dismantling and second use before recycling (Batteries Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D2-01-11: CIVITAS 2030 – Coordination and support for EU funded urban mobility innovation
Gesamtbudget für die Destination 2: 388,5 MEUR
Destination 2 im Funding & Tenders Portal mit Auflistung der Call Topics im Arbeitsprogramm 2021-22 finden Sie hier.
Vollen Text vom Arbeitsprogramm "Climate, Energy and Mobility" (2021-2022) finden Sie hier.