Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes (HORIZON EUROPE)
This Destination addresses activities that improve the climate and environmental footprint, as well as competitiveness, of different transport modes.
The transport sector is responsible for 23% of CO2 emissions and remains dependent on oil for 92% of its energy demand. While there has been significant technological progress over past decades, projected GHG emissions are not in line with the objectives of the Paris Agreement due to the expected increase in transport demand. Intensified research and innovation activities are therefore needed, across all transport modes and in line with societal needs and preferences, in order for the EU to reach its policy goals towards a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and to reduce significantly air pollutants.
The areas of rail and air traffic management will be addressed through dedicated Institutional European Partnerships and are therefore not included in this document.
This Destination contributes to the following Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientations (KSO):
- C: Making Europe the first digitally enabled circular, climate-neutral and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction and production systems;
- A: Promoting an open strategic autonomy235 by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centred technologies and innovations.
It covers the following impact areas:
- Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people;
- Smart and sustainable transport.
The expected impact, in line with the Strategic Plan, is to contribute “Towards climate-neutral and environmental friendly mobility through clean solutions across all transport modes while increasing global competitiveness of the EU transport sector", notably through:
- Transforming road transport to zero-emission mobility through a world-class European research and innovation and industrial system, ensuring that Europe remains world leader in innovation, production and services in relation to road transport (more detailed information below).
- Accelerating the reduction of all aviation impacts and emissions (CO2 and non-CO2, including manufacturing and end-of-life, noise), developing aircraft technologies for deep reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and maintaining European aero-industry’s global leadership position (more detailed information below).
- Accelerate the development and prepare the deployment of climate neutral and clean solutions in the inland and marine shipping sector, reduce its environmental impact (on biodiversity, noise, pollution and waste management), improve its system efficiency, leverage digital and EU satellite-navigation solutions and contribute to the competitiveness of the European waterborne sector (more detailed information below).
- Devising more effective ways for reducing emissions and their impacts through improved scientific knowledge (more detailed information below).
Call topics mit der Einreichungsfrist 20.04.2023:
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-01: User-centric design and operation of EV for optimized energy efficiency (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-02: Innovative battery management systems for next generation vehicles (2ZERO & Batt4EU Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-03: Frugal zero-emission vehicles concepts for the urban passenger challenge (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-04: Circular economy approaches for zero emission vehicles (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-05: Measuring road transport results towards 2ZERO KPIs (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-06: EU Member States/Associated countries research policy cooperation network to accelerate zero-emission road mobility (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-07: Hydrogen-powered aviation
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-08: Accelerating climate neutral hydrogen-powered/electrified aviation
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-09: Competitiveness and digital transformation in aviation – advancing further capabilities, digital approach to design
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-10: Aviation research synergies between Horizon Europe, AZEA and National programs
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-11: Developing the next generation of power conversion technologies for sustainable alternative carbon neutral fuels in waterborne applications (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-12: Demonstrations to accelerate the switch to safe use of new sustainable climate neutral fuels in waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-13: Integrated real-time digital solutions to optimise navigation and port calls to reduce emissions from shipping (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-14: Developing a flexible offshore supply of zero emission auxiliary power for ships moored or anchored at sea deployable before 2030 (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-15: Reducing the environmental impact from shipyards and developing a whole life strategy to measure and minimise the non-operational environmental impacts from shipping
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-16: Developing small, flexible, zero-emission and automated vessels to support shifting cargo from road to sustainable Waterborne Transport
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-17: Towards the implementation of the inland navigation action programme with a focus on Green and Connected Inland Waterway Transport
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-18: Advanced transport emissions monitoring networks
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-19: Support for the organisation of EU-US symposia in the field of Transport Research
Gesamtbudget für die Destination im Jahr 2023: 217 MEUR
Vollen Text des Arbeitsprogramms "Climate, Energy and Mobility" (2023-2024) finden Sie hier.