Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes (Horizon Europe)
This Destination addresses activities that improve the climate and environmental footprint, as well as competitiveness, of different transport modes.
The transport sector is responsible for 23% of CO2 emissions and remains dependent on oil for 92% of its energy demand. While there has been significant technological progress over past decades, projected GHG emissions are not in line with the objectives of the Paris Agreement due to the expected increase in transport demand. Intensified research and innovation activities are therefore needed, across all transport modes and in line with societal needs and preferences, in order for the EU to reach its policy goals towards a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and to reduce significantly air pollutants.
The areas of rail and air traffic management will be addressed through dedicated Institutional European Partnerships and are therefore not included in this document.
This Destination contributes to the following Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientations (KSO):
- C: Making Europe the first digitally enabled circular, climate-neutral and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction and production systems;
- A: Promoting an open strategic autonomy189 by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centred technologies and innovations.
It covers the following impact areas:
- Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people;
- Smart and sustainable transport.
What is the goal to be achieved?
The expected impact, in line with the Strategic Plan, is to contribute “Towards climate-neutral and environmental friendly mobility through clean solutions across all transport modes while increasing global competitiveness of the EU transport sector", notably through:
- Transforming road transport to zero-emission mobility through a world-class European research and innovation and industrial system, ensuring that Europe remains world leader in innovation, production and services in relation to road transport
- Accelerating the reduction of all aviation impacts and emissions (CO2 and non-CO2, including manufacturing and end-of-life, noise), developing aircraft technologies for deep reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and maintaining European aero-industry’s global leadership position.
- Accelerate the development and prepare the deployment of climate neutral and clean solutions in the shipping sector, reduce its environmental impact (on biodiversity, noise, pollution and waste management), improve its system efficiency, leverage digital and EU satellite-navigation solutions and contribute to the competitiveness of the European waterborne sector.
- Devising more effective ways for reducing emissions and their impacts through improved scientific knowledge.
Call topics for 2022
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-01: Exploiting electrical energy storage systems and better optimising large battery electric power within fully battery electric and hybrid ships (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-02: Innovative energy storage systems on-board vessels (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-03: Exploiting renewable energy for shipping, in particular focusing on the potential of wind energy (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-04: Transformation of the existing fleet towards greener operations through retrofitting (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-05: Seamless safe logistics through an autonomous waterborne freight feeder loop service
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-06: Computational tools for shipbuilding
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-07: Prevent smog episodes in Europe: Air quality impact of engine-emitted volatile, semi volatile and secondary particles
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-08: Modular multi-powertrain zero-emission systems for HDV (BEV and FCEV) for efficient and economic operation (2ZERO)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-09: Nextgen EV components: High efficiency and low cost electric motors for circularity and low use of rare resources (2ZERO)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-10: New generation of full electric urban and peri-urban Bus Rapid Transit systems to strengthen climate-friendly mass transport (2ZERO)
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-11: Stimulating Road Transport research and innovation dissemination and implementation in Europe and around the World
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-12: Towards a silent and ultra-low local air pollution aircraft
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-13: Digital aviation technologies for new aviation business models, services, emerging global threats and industrial competitiveness
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-14: European Aviation Research Policy in support to EU policies and initiatives
Gesamtbudget für die Destination 5: 511 MEUR
Destination 5 im Funding & Tenders Portal mit Auflistung der Call Topics im Arbeitsprogramm 2021-22 finden Sie hier.
Vollen Text des Arbeitsprogramms "Climate, Energy and Mobility" (2021-2022) finden Sie hier.